Environments in Altostra group together deployments of projects that share some properties - such as the account to which they are deployed, the configuration applied to them and various other rules and policies. By grouping these concerns together and ahead of time, developers can deploy projects without having to worry about the exact configuration, they only need to know the name of the environment to which to deploy.
You can read more about environments in the reference section of the documentation.
When you first connect your Cloud Account to Altostra, we create a default location and a default environment for you, to get you to a quick start.
To begin, login to the Altostra Web Console.
A location is a named pair of a Cloud Service account and region - if the vendor supports regions. Locations make it easier to manage and reference account-region pairs in complex, multi account, settings.
To see available locations and create new ones, head over to Environments in the main menu on the left.
You can see the already configured locations in the Locations section.
To create a new location:
- Click +ADD in the Locations section.
- Enter a name.
- Select the account and the region to associate with the new location.
- Click ADD to finish creating the location.
Now that you have locations configured, it's time to set up the environments.
Create a new environment
- Click +ADD in the Environments section.
- Enter a name.
- Select the location to which projects will deploy. Be aware that the selected location for an environment cannot be changed later.
- Optionally, select one or many configuration sets to apply to all projects deployed to this environment.
- Optionally, select the log shipping account to which to delivery all logs from functions—if you have such an account connected.
- Click ADD to finish creating the environment.
Attach and remove configuration sets
- Click on the edit icon for an environment.
- Open the selection for Configuration Sets and select or deselect the configuration sets you want to be attached to any future project that will deploy to this environment.